Marine Scalefish Stew (Snapper)
BY Michael Weldon
- 400g Snapper fillets cut into 100g pieces
- 500g Vongole (mud cockles)
- 1 Southern Calamari tube, sliced into thin rings
- 600ml tomato passata
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 2 celery sticks, diced
- 1 fennel bulb, diced
- 1tbs smoked paprika
- 1tsp cayenne pepper
- 50g peas, frozen
- Half a bunch of parsley, chopped roughly
- Olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, pounded in a mortar and pestle
- 1 whole egg
- 1 tbs Dijon mustard
- 1tbs white wine vinegar
- 300mls sunflower oil
- 200mls olive oil
- 4 slice of sourdough, toasted
- In large saucepan on a medium heat add a drizzle of olive oil. Once the oil is hot add the onion, celery and fennel. Cook until softened, then add the paprika and cayenne pepper and toast of in the oil for 1 minute. Pour in the tomato passata, season with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil then reduce and simmer for 20 minutes.
- In a blender add the egg, dijon mustard and vinegar, blend until the mixture pales in colour. Then slowly, with the blender still turned, pour in a thin stream of the sunflower oil. Keep pouring in slowly until the mixture thickens.
- Once you’ve added all the sunflower oil start adding the olive oil. Once all the oil is added, add the garlic and a good pinch of salt. Mix together and taste, adjust the seasoning to your taste, if it needs more acid add lemon juice.
- In a sauce pan on a medium high heat add the cooked tomato sauce, bring it up to a gentle boil. Add the Vongole and cook until they open. Once opened add the Calamari and the pieces of fish, gently cook in the tomato sauce. Once the fish is cooked remove from the heat. Add the parsley and peas.
- To serve divide four portions of Fish, Squid and Vongole. Cover with the tomato sauce, each serve gets a piece of sourdough toast topped with a big spoon of Aioli
Michael Weldon Catering – Little Miss Dive Shop and Crab Shack
74 Frome St
Adelaide South Australia 5000
RETURN TO RECIPES